2019 IFITT ICT4D Scholarship - Call for Submission
Under the IFITT ICT4D Scholarship (Information and Communication Technologies for Development), IFITT (The International Federation for IT in Travel and Tourism) will fund young talents coming from developing/emerging countries, to provide a positive impact onto their respective communities through the application of information and communication technology (ICT).
Submission should be connected with a Master or PhD thesis, having a clear orientation to the application of ICT in local tourism development. Awarded students will have the possibility to present their work at the PhD workshop during ENTER2019 eTourism Conference.
The scholarship consists of an assignment of a tutor, a non-cash prize for participation at ENTER2019 eTourism Conference (comprising of return travel from home country to Nicosia, Cyprus, accommodation, and conference fee) and free IFITT membership for one year.
For further queries, please contact Lidija Lalicic (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Submission Guidelines- how to apply?
Submission guidelines are similar to the one of ENTER2019 PhD workshop. The research proposals should be a maximum length of seven (7) pages (A4) and should include the following headings:
Page 1: Motivation Letter
- Why it is important to attend the PhD Workshop and ENTER2019
Page 2-6: Research Outline
- Problem definition
- Literature review
- Conceptual development
- Proposed methodology
- Anticipated results
Page 7: Local development
- Relevance of research for local tourism development.
Page 8: Submission Checklist
- Please see the last page of this document
Page 9: Curriculum Vitae and evidences of PhD enrolment and/or university contract (no page limit)
- Please refer to the eligibility criteria section to verify if your university falls into this category. Also, in your submission, please indicate your progress toward completion of the thesis (e.g., thinking about it, just beginning the process, completed proposal, etc.).
Step 1: Please download the PhD-Workshop Author Advice as a style guide for your research proposal.
Please note: the submission should consist of ONE single file.
Step 2: Submit your proposal via Easy Chair [Please Select “PhD Workshop”].
What happens after the submission?
Each submission will undergo a review process. Applicants will be notified about the review outcome, along with recommendation to improve the proposal before the workshop. Accepted proposals will be made available as e-book to workshop participants before the PhD Workshop and published on the IFITT website. Participants are required to prepare a short oral (or video) presentation as well as a poster presentation. Posters will be displayed during the workshop as well as throughout the entire ENTER conference. The best research proposals will receive awards and will be recognized at the main conference event!
- Submission Deadline: September 3rd 2018
- Initial feedback: September 28th 2018
- Submit final revised proposal: October 12th, 2018*
- Final acceptance: October 30th, 2018*
- PhD Workshop: January 29th, 2019
- ENTER2018 Conference: January 30th – 1st February 2019
*Please note that submission deadlines differ from the one of PhD workshop in order to facilitate the visa procedure.
- The applicant must be enrolled in a University program either PhD (priority) or Master (or equivalent) in the below listed eligible countries. Evidences should be included in the application.
- The applicant may also have a research/work contract in one University belonging to the below listed eligible countries (e.g. researcher, lecturer). Evidences should be included in the application.
- The contract with the University of the eligible country should expire at least 6 months after ENTER2019 (i.e. July 2019). Evidences should be included in the application.
- Every applicant can apply only one time per year.
- The University should belong to the “Eligible Countries,” including:
- Priority countries (priority)
- Also eligible countries
- The IFITT ICT4D committee will make decision on the scholarship award. Committee members are elected by IFITT board.
- Scholarship will be ONLY awarded in relation to ENTER2019.
- IFITT will issue an invitation letter to successful candidates, conditional to the participation at ENTER2019.
- Each candidate is responsible for obtaining a valid travel visa and will have to cover all cost that occurs from that.
Conditions about the non-cash prize
The non-cash prize consists of:
- An invitation from IFITT (International Federation of IT in Travel and Tourism) to attend ENTER2019 in Nicosia, Cyprus from 29th of January to 1st of February 2019.
- Return international economy flights to the nearest airport from the nearest major airport to the candidate’s university.
- Accommodation for four nights.
- Return transfer from/to airport to city accommodation at the destination.
Please note that the non-cash prize is not transferable.
All flight and accommodation bookings will be made by the IFITT unless otherwise agreed in writing with candidates. Any changes to flight and accommodation bookings made by IFITT will need to be organized by the participants themselves; and any additional cost as a result of these changes will be borne by the participant.
Successful candidates are responsible for their own documentation, including visas, passports, travel/health insurance and the right to enter Cyprus and any other travel or like documentation required by the successful candidate’s country and/or Cyprians laws. IFITT, will provide documentation to support visa applications for successful candidates.
IFITT and ENTER2019 organizers will not be held liable for any loss, damage or injury that results directly or indirectly from a candidate taking part in any aspect of the non-cash prize. Where relevant, successful candidates agree that they take full responsibility for any activities engaged in while travelling and engaging in the non-cash prize.
Eligible Countries (Priority Countries)
Low-Income Economies ($1,005 or less)
- Burkina Faso
- Central African Republic
- Congo, Dem. Republic
- Gambia, The
- Korea, Dem. People’s Rep.
- Sierra Leone
- South Sudan
Also Eligible Countries
Lower-Middle-Income Economies ($1,006 to $3,955)
- Cabo Verde
- Congo, Rep.
- Cote d’Ivoire
- Egypt, Arab Rep.
- El Salvador
- Kyrgyz Republic
- Lao PDR
- Micronesia, Fed. Sts.
- Papua New Guinea
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Solomon Islands
- Sri Lanka
- Syrian Arab Republic
- West Bank and Gaza
- Yemen, Rep.
Upper-Middle-Income Economies ($3,956 to $12,235)
- American Samoa
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Costa Rica
- Dominican Republic
- Equatorial Guinea
- Iran, Islamic Rep.
- Macedonia, FYR
- Marshall Islands
- Russian Federation
- South Africa
- St. Lucia
- St. Vincent and the Grenadines
- Venezuela, RB